Details Copyright Registration Vietnam
Copyright registration in Vietnam has to be made with the National Copyright Office of Vietnam (COV)
What can be registered?
Copyright registration in Vietnam is possible for the following categories of works:
- literary and scientific works, textbooks, teaching materials, and other works expressed in forms of letters or other writing characters
- lectures, presentations and other speeches
- journalistic works
- musical works
- dramatic works
- cinematographic works
- fine art works and applied art works
- photographical works
- architectural works
- sketches, maps, drawings related to topography, architecture, scientific works
- folk artistic and literary works
- computer programs and compilations of data
Derivative works like performances, broadcasts etc. may also be copyrighted under certain circumstances.
Timeframe: 30 working days from filing the application for the registration of the copyright.
Required documents and information:
The following documents are required in an application to register the copyright in a work:
- executed and Notarized Power of Attorney (must be signed by the applicant or a duly authorized representative on behalf of the applicant)
- certified true copy by a Notary Public of passport of the author(s)
- certified true copy by a Notary Public of the certificates of business registration of the owner
- notarized statement of honesty of the author (s) on creating the applied art work signed by the author(s)
- notarized assignment document
- two copies of the work (for works such as paintings a photo is sufficient)
The following information is required in an application to register the copyright in a work:
- date and place of the first publication of the work (if any);
- form of the first publication of the work, ie.g. online publishing, magazines, books etc.
Translation of all documents into Vietnamese is obligatory!
A work will be protected in Vietnam if it fulfills one of the following criteria:
- the work has been published for the first time in Vietnam or has been published in Vietnam within thirty days from the date of first publication
- authors are nationals of one of the member states of the Berne Convention, no matter whether the work is published or not
- authors are not nationals of one of the member states of the Berne Convention but have their habitual residence in one of the member states
- in case authors are not nationals of one of the member states of the Berne Convention but their works have first been published in a member state, or, as the case may be, simultaneously in a member state of the Berne Convention and in another state which is not a member to the Convention